We are searching for an experienced User Researcher who is ready to harness her or his creativity, research expertise, and in-depth knowledge of the user-centered design process to help develop products that are safe, effective, and satisfying to use. The successful candidate will be a broadly talented and passionate individual who wants to be part of an extraordinary, new team.
Our business’ core team includes specialists in human factors, industrial design, engineering, and other disciplines who have well over a century of combined industry experience. We are a multi-faceted product development consultancy that understands the importance of conducting comprehensive user research to define new product requirements; performing creative design explorations while also embracing technological imperatives; and iterating a design solution by conducting usability tests and other evaluations.
Contribute to a Safer, More Secure, and More Sustainable World. At UL, we know why we come to work. Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with one common purpose – to make the world a safer, more secure, and more sustainable place to live. We clear the way for our customers to introduce the latest products, technological advances, and systems in an increasingly complex world so they can provide peace of mind to the market. Our integrity is woven throughout our company and shapes the way we approach and deliver our solutions. We are proud that the work we do every day has a meaningful contribution to society. We continue to build upon our legacy of trusted expertise and partnership to keep our communities safe and secure as we march forward into the future. This helps us to sleep better at night, and we are confident that the millions of people we touch rest easier too.
- Apply deep knowledge of a myriad of user-centered design methodologies to plan and lead various user research and user interface evaluation activities, including field observations, contextual inquiry, interviews, and usability testing.
- Communicate research findings in a clear, concise, and compelling manner, in writing as well as verbally.
- Apply experimental design and inferential statistical analysis skills.
- Understand and solve complex user interaction problems in a scientific as well as creative manner.
- Lead project teams and hands-on, technical aspects of research projects.
- Mentor others and collaborate in a productive and egoless manner.
- Effectively set priorities to work efficiently and manage one’s time.
- Deliver capabilities presentations to prospective clients and develop compelling business proposals.
- BS or higher degree in human factors engineering, human computer interaction, ethnography, industrial design, psychology, information design, or related field.
- 5+ years working as a user researcher in a professional setting, such as a product design consultancy or corporate department specializing in product research and/or development.
- Experience working in the medical device, pharmaceutical, digital health, consumer electronic product, appliance, or automobile industry.
- Strong interpersonal skills and high comfort collaborating with and advising colleagues and customers worldwide.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and visual communication and skills.
- Experience teaching colleagues, industry workshops, and/or college courses
- Experience evaluating and/or developing software- and hardware-based products
- Experience conducting product risk analyses
- Experience conceptualizing and/or designing software user interfaces and/or instructional documents
- Fluency in a second language