We are searching for a Product Designer who is ready to harness her or his creativity, experience, and a user-centered design process to produce products that are safe, effective, and satisfying to the intended users. The successful candidate will be a broadly creative individual who wants to serve in a high-energy, leadership role on an extraordinary team.
Our business’ core team includes specialists in human factors, industrial design, engineering, and other disciplines who have well over a century of combined industry experience. We are a multi-faceted product development consultancy that understands the importance of conducting comprehensive user research to define new product requirements; performing creative design explorations while also embracing technological imperatives; and iterating a design solution by conducting usability tests and other evaluations.
Contribute to a Safer, More Secure, and More Sustainable World. At UL, we know why we come to work. Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with one common purpose – to make the world a safer, more secure, and more sustainable place to live. We clear the way for our customers to introduce the latest products, technological advances, and systems in an increasingly complex world so they can provide peace of mind to the market. Our integrity is woven throughout our company and shapes the way we approach and deliver our solutions. We are proud that the work we do every day has a meaningful contribution to society. We continue to build upon our legacy of trusted expertise and partnership to keep our communities safe and secure as we march forward into the future. This helps us to sleep better at night, and we are confident that the millions of people we touch rest easier too.
- Provides technical support to project teams striving to develop optimized, user-friendly products.
- Supports technical meetings to guide clients towards developing safe, effective, and satisfying products.
- Supports design critiques.
- Supports the preparation of presentations and reports; reviews and comments on those produced by others
- Develops requirements by analyzing target audience, objectives, user needs, and business needs.
- Develops use scenarios, navigational structures, sitemaps, user/task flows, and sketches.
- Contributes to the development of conceptual design concepts and instantiate design concepts in the form of detailed renderings, screen designs, and learning aids (e.g., user manuals, quick reference cards, training animations).
- Supports the development of final artwork (e.g., buttons, icons, illustrations) for software user interfaces, hardware user interfaces, and learning aids.
- Supports the creation of interactive prototypes and appearance models to present and support usability tests of user interface design concepts.
- On an as-need basis, supports UX research including usability testing (local and remote), multi variant and A/B tests, heuristic analysis, contextual inquiry, ethnography, card sorting, gap analysis, and competitive benchmarks.
- Works with senior designers to help development teams troubleshoot and fix UI problems.
- Works with senior designers to ensure products have a consistent and cohesive user experience.
- Supports design reviews, style guideline development, and presentations on style standards and UX conventions.
- BS or higher degree in interaction design, industrial design, human factors engineering, visual design, graphic design, or a related field.
- 1-2 years working as a product designer in a professional setting, such as a product design consultancy or corporate department specializing in product development.
- Experience working in the medical device, pharmaceutical, digital health, consumer electronic product, appliance, or automobile industry.
- Strong interpersonal skills and high comfort collaborating with colleagues and customers worldwide.
- Strong verbal, written, and visual communication and skills.
- Experience conceptualizing and/or designing software user interfaces, instructional documents, and/or packaging
- Experience with 3-D printing and basic model making
- Experience evaluating and/or developing software- and hardware-based products
- Experience conducting product risk analyses
- Fluency in a second language