We are searching for a User Researcher who is ready to harness her or his creativity, research experience, and knowledge of the user-centered design process to help develop products that are safe, effective, and satisfying to use. The successful candidate will be a broadly talented and passionate individual who wants to be part of an extraordinary, new team.
Our business’ core team includes specialists in human factors, industrial design, engineering, and other disciplines who have well over a century of combined industry experience. We are a multi-faceted product development consultancy that understands the importance of conducting comprehensive user research to define new product requirements; performing creative design explorations while also embracing technological imperatives; and iterating a design solution by conducting usability tests and other evaluations.
Contribute to a Safer, More Secure, and More Sustainable World. At UL, we know why we come to work. Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with one common purpose – to make the world a safer, more secure, and more sustainable place to live. We clear the way for our customers to introduce the latest products, technological advances, and systems in an increasingly complex world so they can provide peace of mind to the market. Our integrity is woven throughout our company and shapes the way we approach and deliver our solutions. We are proud that the work we do every day has a meaningful contribution to society. We continue to build upon our legacy of trusted expertise and partnership to keep our communities safe and secure as we march forward into the future. This helps us to sleep better at night, and we are confident that the millions of people we touch rest easier too.
- Support various user research and user interface evaluation activities, including field observations, contextual inquiry, interviews, and usability testing.
- Record and analyze quantitative and qualitative data during various research efforts, including those designed to identify user needs and evaluate client products and user interface designs.
- Support the preparation and delivery of client presentations and various work products.
- Identify and articulate actionable recommendations for improving products, processes, and workflows.
- Communicate research findings in a clear, concise, and compelling manner, in writing as well as verbally.
- Review and support the development of various documentation, including but not limited to risk analyses, user profiles, task analyses, and Human Factors Engineering reports to ensure they meet quality standards and, when applicable, regulators’ expectations.
- Support user research planning and coordination, including activities such as developing research plans, preparing Investigational Review Board submissions, managing participant recruitment efforts performed by third-party vendors, and setting up representative research environments.
- Collaborate with team members and customers in a productive and egoless manner.
- Effectively set priorities to work efficiently and manage one’s time.
- BS or higher degree in human factors engineering, human computer interaction, ethnography, industrial design, psychology, information design, or related field.
- Strong interpersonal skills and high comfort collaborating with and advising colleagues and customers worldwide.
- Strong verbal, written, and visual communication and skills.
- 1 - 3 years working as a user researcher in a professional setting, such as a product design consultancy or corporate department specializing in product research and/or development.
- Experience working in the medical device, pharmaceutical, digital health, consumer electronic product, appliance, or automobile industry.
- Experience teaching peers or colleagues, industry workshops, and/or courses.
- Experience evaluating and/or developing software- and hardware-based products.
- Experience conducting product risk analyses.
- Experience conceptualizing and/or designing software user interfaces and/or instructional documents.
- Fluency in a second language.