The Engineering Leader effectively manages the day to day activities of the team, supports and guides decisions on projects, project management and opportunities within a highly matrixed organization. Assists Engineering Manager in defining goals and performance objectives and metrics to execute strategy, with a focus on financial goals and metrics (revenue, profit, enterprise value, etc.). Engineering Lead maintains the responsibilities of a Staff Engineer and will occasionally handle projects. Continuous check of resource availability and evaluation of possible alternative solutions by delegating work to appropriate levels for completion. Drives a high performing team by managing the performance, development and engagement of team members. This role is responsible for building relationships with customers and supporting the commercial team by ensuring workload balance and providing technical support needed to satisfy customers and adhere to UL Mission.
- Implements and executes capacity and capability management under the guidance of the Engineering Manager. Ensures effective workflow by engaging with cross functional leads and customers in order to understand scope of projects and technical needs to assign resources effectively. Responsible for driving process improvements to ensure financial results are achieved. Typically supports local members of a team, but may support remote employees in other locations.
- Drives a high performing team by managing the performance and development of team members. Operates effectively in the UL matrix to actively support and drive high performance culture changes, transformation efforts and people engagement. Holds team and self accountable for results, assists Engineering Manager in defining goals and performance objectives and metrics to execute strategy. Develops and coaches by providing, training, career counseling, feedback, guidance to drive high performance and morale. Ensures understanding of and compliance with all established policies and requirements.
- Increases customer loyalty, anticipates customer needs and provides proactive solutions. Gathers, shares and responds to customer feedback. Coaches and mentors employees to do the same. Supports sales by building relationships with customers, requiring a deep understanding of what is in pipeline, obtaining feedback on how UL can do better, what is working well and identifies actions and solutions.
- Provides direct support to customers and team by providing technical guidance and engineering judgment to complete projects and address all issues arising needing resolution (i.e. customer complaints, unusual requests, technical advice). Ensures quality and adherence to policies and standards requirements.
- Leads and/or participates in discussions to drive business initiatives through brainstorming discussions. Empowers and holds team accountable to find new opportunities to effectively drive growth & financial goals (revenue, profit, enterprise value, etc.).
- Delegates Project Handlers to establish the appropriate test programs. Supports and guides project handlers to ensure compliance with requirements, changes in project scope or specifications and customer notifications. Explains UL family of companies' policies, procedures and requirements, negotiates completion dates and sample requirements, and ensures an effective experience with the UL family of companies. May handle some projects and/or act as lead reviewer to support workflow and demand.
- Communicates and exemplifies UL's Vision and Mission. Leads, promotes and embraces change through self and team. Collaborates and builds trust within organization and with customers to meet or exceed their expectations. Develops strong, flexible cross-funcational networks and global relationships to promote becoming the fastest, highest quality and most customer-friendly organization. Coaches and mentors employees to do the same.
- Performs other duties as directed.