The Office of Research Experiences and Education (OREE) team with Underwriters Laboratories is looking for a new team member to contribute to the mission of creating a safer, more sustainable, and secure world! This role will manage the administrative aspects of OREE including collaboration with finance and tracking expenses to the annual office budget, expenses, coordination of meetings and agendas, supplies, and other duties as needed. This position will report to the OREE Director, and works closely with the Program Managers and Outreach Coordinator. This person will also collaborate with the Executive Assistants in the Research Institutes and Operations across the organization.
At Underwriters Laboratories, we wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. Underwriters Laboratories stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure the safety of our employees, customers and clients. Effective November 1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
Essential Functions, Roles and Responsibilities
Provides a wide variety of administrative and staff support services to OREE, including program managers in education and research experiences, outreach coordinator, and lead evaluator
· May assist in budget preparation and control activities.
· May assist in the preparation and control of records, statistics, and reports regarding operations, personnel changes, etc.
· Administers programs, projects and/or processes specific to the operating unit served.
· Serves as administrative liaison with others and outside the company regarding administrative issues related to purchasing, personnel, facilities, operations, etc.
· Composes varied to somewhat complex letters and memoranda and screens telephone calls.
· May make meeting and travel arrangements.
· May assist in orienting new employees.
· Positive and collaborative interpersonal skills to work effectively with leaders and colleagues across the organization.
· Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills, with enthusiasm to engage leaders and employees with the mission and goals of the organization.
· Assists the organizational unit with varied to somewhat complex correspondence, personnel records and documents, varied to somewhat complex reporting, travel itineraries, staff memberships, etc.
· Assists the organizational unit with projects, which may include researching issues and drafting documents for review by the assigning staff member.
· Relieves the organizational unit of administrative work where appropriate, including preparing reports, typing documents, filing, answering questions regarding the organizational unit procedures and processes, screening phone calls as appropriate, etc.
· Answers varied telephone inquiries and directs visitors as needed.
· May schedule, coordinate and maintain calendar and travel itineraries for one or more individuals within the organizational unit.
· May assist in the budgetary process for the organizational unit.
· Responsiveness and a sense of urgency, with focus on outcomes, structure, and process improvement for the short and long term.
Experience and Education Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of experience in administrative work, with demonstrated success in most or all of the following areas: project management, office coordination.
· Experience in research, academic, scientific, or professional services organizations is preferred.
· Proficiency with MS Office, advanced skills in Excel and PowerPoint are preferred
Working at Underwriters Laboratories is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit UL.org
UL is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female/Minority/disability/Protected Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please review the EEO is the Law and EEO is the Law Supplement.
Please review the following additional documents: