The Vice President, Finance and Treasurer will have the experience and vision to lead and develop a strong global treasury and risk function, working with cross-functional teams to support UL’s global operations. The successful candidate will possess financial, treasury, banking, investments, and risk management background with strong experience relating to international banking requirements, cash consolidation, cash repatriation, investment management, debt negotiation and compliance, commercial insurance, and risk management.
The Vice President, Finance and Treasurer is responsible for the establishment and communication of treasury and risk plans and objectives which are consistent with corporate ambitions and strategies. The role requires the ability to build strong, influential, and trusting relationships externally with key partners and internally with businesses and functions. Externally, treasury leads UL’s relationships with commercial banks, investment advisors, insurance partners, external service providers. Internally, the Treasury team partners with UL colleagues around the world, at all levels, in our business teams, regional teams, as well as key functional areas of the global company.
The Vice President Finance and Treasurer will enjoy working with a team of nine talented direct and indirect reports, cross functional finance and business professionals, and external providers to meet on-going business treasury and risk requirements.
- Provides leadership, vision, oversight and strategic direction for the company’s efficient and effective treasury and risk operations, including global treasury, banking, investments, debt, and risk management activities
- Provides strong business and decision support, resolution of issues, and high value recommendations
- Acts as a treasury and risk subject matter expert and advisor to the CFO and Senior Management. Key advisor to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Actively participates as member of the company’s finance leadership team
- Represents treasury and risk with internal and external stakeholders to effectively work across multiple functions, project credibility, and present influentially to accomplish the best possible business and financial outcomes for the company
- Aligns treasury department resources to accomplish objectives and support the achievement of company objectives
- Fosters an environment of continuous improvement focusing on streamlining, improving, and automating processes
- Performs staff-related administrative functions, such as hiring, goal setting, performance reviews
- Provide thought leadership on ad-hoc projects as required by the CEO, CFO, and Board.
- Champion an engaged, inclusive and attractive work environment with a winning, high-performance culture.
Banking, Debt and Cash Management
- Oversees and provides support for the development of efficient and effective cash forecasting, global cash consolidation, dividends, intercompany funding, debt alternatives, capitalization, and related documentation
- Supports the banking and risk needs for the business in navigating new business ventures, new international markets, new legal entities, and cross-border financing
- Works with Tax, Accounting, Legal, and local finance colleagues to develop tax efficient cash repatriation vehicles and documentation
- Develops and maintains banking and lending relationships, negotiates credit facilities, issues corporate debt, develops and reviews debt compliance and debt reporting
- Oversees treasury’s participation in M&A activities, including due diligence, integration planning, and execution of treasury related integration activities
- Provides corporate, pension and 401k investment management expertise and execution, including management of external investment and actuarial advisors, leading the company’s retirement investment committee, and preparing and presenting reports to the company’s board of directors and senior management
- Oversees the review, analysis and recommendation of foreign currency and other hedging exposures and implementation of any approved hedging measures
- Oversees the establishment, administration, oversight and maintenance of treasury policies, practices, and procedures
- Ensures continuing compliance with SOX and other audit and regulatory requirements
- Keeps current with relevant banking regulations, treasury practices, banking and treasury technologies and their usage
Commercial Insurance and Risk Management
- Oversees the assessment of risk exposures and the development of risk management strategies for UL’s global enterprise
- Ensures appropriate global insurance coverage at competitive rates through oversight of the company’s commercial insurance programs
- Oversees and participates in the management of insurance brokers, underwriters, and third-party providers related to the execution of company commercial insurance programs
- Key member of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Program Office providing oversight, direction, and coordination of the company’s ERM program office
- Provides coordination and reporting to assist the UL Inc. Board of Directors Audit Committee in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities related to the Enterprise Risk Management Program
- Assists the UL Operating Committee in development and execution of the company’s ERM program including the company’s risk assessment, risk management practices and guidelines, risk policies and processes
- Provides reporting on risks and the enterprise risk management program to the Audit Committee, Operating Committee, and other stakeholders
- Oversees the education, training and information sharing of ERM and risk management for all levels of the company
- Reviews, analyzes, and implements pension plan de-risking strategies in coordination with Benefits and Legal